Typing speed is a valuable skill in many professions, especially for writers. The speed at which we type can increase our productivity and performance overall, so there’s much to gain in learning how to make your fingers dart across that keyboard.
In this guide, we take a look at ways to increase your typing speed. These tips are simple and available to everyone to try. We also cover the usefulness of a words per minute calculator, which commonly uses the WPM (Word Per minute) metric to help increase a person’s typing speed. The average range for most people is around 38 to 40 WPM.
The word counter per minute speed of professional falls in the range of 60 WPM or even more. However, it’s important to remember that the ideal WPM metric is variable for each writer depending upon the subject they’re writing about and nature of the task. If the professional is engaged in a new subject, the writing speed can be decreased. On the contrary, if the writer has a full understanding of the subject, the writing speed may exceed as much as 80 WPM.
Let’s take a look at how you can try to reach those lightning quick heights.
Like every skill, when it comes to improving practice makes perfect and practice is the key to increasing your WPM speed. How many words you type per minute depends upon the muscular memory of the keyboard layout. Once able to generate familiarity with the keyboard keys, then it’s possible to increase the speed of your WPM. So the trick is to just keep practising with your keyboard, get used to its layout, and your speed will naturally increase.
Learn touch typing
Touch typing is a method of typing where you can type without looking at the keyboard. It involves using all fingers and placing them on the home row keys. To learn touch typing, follow these steps:
- Familiarize with Keyboard Layout: Learn the layout of the QWERTY keyboard, including the home row keys (ASDF for the left hand, JKL; for the right hand).
- Hand Placement: Position your fingers on the home row keys, with each finger resting on a specific key. This allows you to reach all keys easily.
- Start Slowly: Begin with basic exercises and typing tutorials. Focus on accuracy over speed. Gradually increase speed as your accuracy improves.
- Touch Typing Courses: Utilize online touch typing courses or software. They provide structured lessons and practice exercises to enhance your skills.
- Practice Regularly: Consistent practice is key to mastering touch typing. Spend a few minutes daily to build muscle memory and speed.
- Use All Fingers: Avoid looking at the keyboard. Use all your fingers, not just the index fingers, to type. This minimizes hand movement and increases speed.
- Focus on Errors: Identify recurring mistakes and work on them. Addressing errors helps improve accuracy in the long run.
- Take Breaks: Typing for extended periods can strain your hands and wrists. Take breaks and maintain proper posture to prevent discomfort.
- Monitor Progress: Keep track of your typing speed and accuracy over time. Set goals and celebrate improvements.
- Be Patient: Touch typing proficiency takes time to develop. Stay patient and persistent, as the results will be worth the effort.
By following these steps and consistently practicing, you’ll gradually become adept at touch typing, enhancing your typing speed and efficiency.
Use a typing tool
A typing tool is software designed to enhance typing skills and efficiency. It offers exercises, tests, and lessons to increase typing speed, accuracy, and technique.
To benefit from a typing tool, you ideally need to use it regularly to practice various typing exercises and writing tips, gradually increasing speed and accuracy.
These tools often provide real-time feedback, progress tracking, and customized lessons to cater to your skill level, ultimately helping you become a more proficient and confident typist.
Focus on accuracy and precision
To enhance typing accuracy, you could try to focus on:
- Hand Positioning: Maintain proper finger placement on the home row keys for quick and precise movements.
- Slow and Steady: Begin at a manageable pace, prioritizing accuracy over speed, and gradually build up your typing speed.
- Conscious Typing: Stay aware of each key press, reducing the likelihood of errors caused by rushing.
- Proofread: Review your text after typing to catch and correct any mistakes before finalizing.
- Practice Precision: Engage in targeted accuracy exercises to reinforce muscle memory for correct key presses.
- Error Analysis: Identify recurring mistakes and work on specific letter combinations that tend to trip you up.
- Use Typing Tools: Employ typing software that offers accuracy-focused exercises and real-time feedback.
- Regular Practice: Consistent practice hones your accuracy over time, resulting in improved typing skills.
More Resources On Improving Typing Speed
A higher WPM (words per minute) speed significantly enhances workplace productivity. It’s crucial, however, not to overlook grammar and sentence structure. Both are vital components of writing, playing a critical role in achieving coherence and a well-structured article. Aim to elevate all facets of your typing skills to ensure the final piece is cohesive and well-organized. For more tips on how to increase your typing speed, get in touch.
- How To Turn Single Or Multiple JPG Files To Word Docs Online - September 23, 2023
- The Advantages Of Speech-To-Text Technology For Translation - September 21, 2023
- DupliChecker Review – An Innovative Website for Writers? - September 20, 2023