The tools a writer uses are important. Some may invest in a stylish pen. Others may place more weight on the quality of their notebook. Writing is art after all and you deserve the best tools you can get to help you create.
In this detailed guide, you can find a list of some of the best notebooks for writing currently available. We consider different needs and desires, such as a focus on quality or whether or not it’s environmentally friendly, to the best budget notebooks.
You can click below to jump to the one that interests you most:
Choose A Notebook
- A List Of The Best Notebooks For Writing
- Best Quality Notebook
- Best Value Notebook For Writing
- Best Environmentally Friendly Notebook
- Best Smart Notebook For Writing
- Best Faux-Leather Notebook
- Best Notebook For Traveling
- What Features Do The Best Notebooks For Writers Have?
- Why Notebooks Are Vital To Writers
- Notebooks For Writing – Style Over Substance?
- Other Guides On Writing
A List Of The Best Notebooks For Writing
Below, you can find a list that covers different types of notebooks for writing. You’ll find details of the best ones and what stands them apart from the competition.
The idea of this list is to give you the research so you can spend more time writing your stories and less time browsing online shops.
So below you can find a list of some of the best notebooks for writers currently available. There’s something for everyone here—from eco-friendly authors to travel writers.
Click Here To Learn How To Write A Novel
1. Best Quality Notebook
Oxford Stone Paper Notebook
If you’re someone who loves the touch of quality paper, the Oxford Stone Paper Notebook is for you. With velvety smooth pages it’s hard to believe that the paper is actually made from stone.
It’s this feature that makes this product stand above all other notebooks, however. Being stone-based makes moisture and tear-resistant.
No longer do you have to worry about knocking over that cup of coffee all over your desk. Nor do you have to drape those sodden pages over the radiator.
Something else that makes this notebook stand out is that the page doesn’t show writing through to the other side—always a good mark of quality.
This lined notepad is available in two sizes and you can currently get them in packs of two, which also makes it one of the most reasonably priced notebooks for writers around.
You can learn more about the Oxford Stone Paper Notebook on Amazon via the link above.
2. Best Value Notebook For Writing
Oxford Marble Composition Book
In terms of pure value for money, one of the best notebooks for writers is arguably the classic Oxford Marble notepad.
With 100 sheets of ruled paper, writers can scribble away to their heart’s content knowing that they’re not going to run out of paper anytime soon.
And while this notepad represents value, it also provides quality. Over 4,500 five star reviews on Amazon can evidence that.
You can get even greater value for money with this notebook when you buy it in packs, such as this one in a pack of 3.
3. Best Environmentally Friendly Notebook
Vegan Faux Leather Journal By SohoSpark (Wildflowers)
With the climate crisis worsening, we all need to do more to protect our planet. Environmental concerns are on writers’ minds too, especially those who love to write on paper.
Luckily, there is a wide range of environmentally friendly notebooks available. Some, like this faux leather notepad with a wildflower design, are completely vegan and look beautiful too.
With a striking imprinted design on the front, you wouldn’t want to see the end of this journal. And that’s why it’s refillable. Simply buy another pack of paper and slip it inside—truly sustainable.
This leather-bound notebook comes with a 240-sheet notepad installed, with two pen holders.
4. Best Smart Notebook For Writing
THINKERS Smart Notebook
It’s amazing what notebooks can do nowadays. Smart notebooks work in combination with your smart devices, like your iPhone or Android.
You simply write as you would any other journal or notebook and then use the mobile app to scan pages which it transfers to the computer.
The THINKERS Smart Notebook is one of the best available, allowing you to use any pen or pencil, including fountain pens. The notebook has 256 sheets of numbered paper, with a quality 120 gsm in thickness.
This notebook also has a lay-flat design, meaning that once you set it down on the desk, it stays flat, unlike those cheaper notebooks that keep trying to close over.
At present, the THINKER app only works with iPhones and for customers based in the USA and Canada, but keep an eye out for changes—it’s a new product and growing quickly.
5. Best Faux-Leather Notebook
Settini Writing Journal
If you’re looking for a quality writer’s notebook with a faux-leather-bound cover, then look no further than the Settini writing journal.
Available in a range of beautiful designs imprinted on the cover, such as the Tree Of Life, Celtic Cross, Cats, a Compass or Wildflowers, you can’t help but feel inspired to start scribbling in its pages.
The 80 gsm paper comes in a natural white colour, with each page having 28 light gray lines to keep things subtle.
It comes with a bookmark, a closure strap and a folder for storage on the inside cover. Writers also receive a luxury Settini Milano ballpoint pen, which is lovely to write with.
6. Best Notebook For Traveling
The Indestructible, Waterproof, Tearproof, Weatherproof Field Notebook
If you’re a writer who likes to travel around, visit exotic places and isn’t afraid to get wet and filthy, then you’re going to need a notebook that can keep up with you.
Created by the Elan Publishing Company, the Indestructible Notebook was made with travelers in mind. It’s made of stone paper, meaning it’s completely waterproof and tearproof. You can even write underwater.
It’s a nice small size so it won’t take up much room in your bag or pocket. And they come in packs of four so you won’t run out of paper in a hurry. Available in a range of stylish colors.
What Features Do The Best Notebooks For Writers Have?
When it comes to notebooks for writers, there are a few key features that can make a big difference in terms of functionality and usability. Some of the best features to look for include:
- High-quality paper – Look for a notebook with thick, acid-free paper that is suitable for writing with a variety of pens and pencils.
- Durable cover – A sturdy cover will protect your notes and ideas from wear and tear, as well as water damage, and it can also be used as a hard surface to write on.
- Size and layout – Consider whether you prefer a larger notebook with wide ruled lines or a smaller notebook with narrow ruled lines. The layout should be comfortable for your writing style.
- Portable size – A notebook that is easy to carry with you is ideal for writers on the go.
- The number of pages – The number of pages will depend on your personal preference. Some people prefer a larger notebook to have more pages while others prefer it to be compact.
- Bookmark or ribbon – A bookmark or ribbon can help you keep your place in your notebook and make it easy to find your notes later.
- Elastic closure or pen loop – These features can help keep your notebook closed and your pen or pencil securely in place when you’re not using them.
- Index or Table of contents – Some notebooks have an index or table of contents that allows you to organize your notes and ideas for easy reference.
- Additional features – Some notebooks come with additional features such as perforated pages, pockets, and the ability to lay flat or upright.
Ultimately, the best notebook for writers is one that is comfortable to use and meets their specific needs.
Why Notebooks Are Vital To Writers
Never underestimate the power of a notebook. In fleeting moments we get ideas that excite and inspire us. But if we don’t capture them on a page, then they could be lost forever.
Some of the most successful writers of our age, including Mark Twain and John Steinbeck, spoke of their love of using a notebook. They needed a way of recording ideas and observations so that later they could call upon them.
If it worked for them it could work for you too.
Notebooks For Writing – Style Over Substance?
When it comes to browsing different notebooks for writing, it’s important to ask yourself a few questions about how you’re going to use the book.
For example, if you’re going traveling, chances are that notebook is going to get bashed about in your suitcase, creased by clothes, and sodden by wet towels and socks (always first to get damp!). The last thing you want, then, is a budget paper notebook. You’ll open it up to find the pages ripped and ink blotched and running from moisture.
On the other hand, you may be preparing for a long trip and may have intentions to fill the whole thing! If so, a cheaper but bigger notebook may be more to your needs.
The point I’m making here is that the notebook you buy must suit your writing needs. Sometimes you have to try a few to work out the best one you like.
My personal preference, for instance, is legal notebooks. They’re A4-sized with small lines and no margin. It reminds me a bit of a workbook at school. But I always use them, despite their inability to resist water.
Other Guides On Writing
If you’d like to learn more about writing, check out these guides below:
- Examples of the 5 senses in writing – exercises for writing journals
- Creative writing tips for beginners
- Fantasy writing classes and workshops
What are some of the best notebooks for writers you’ve come across? Comment below!
- How To Use An Image-To-Text Converter - May 20, 2023
- Simple Tips For Mastering Content Marketing - May 17, 2023
- Edubirdie Review 2023 – The Best Essay Writing Service? - May 13, 2023