In this guide, we’ll provide a clear answer to the question: what is a creative writing class?
In short, creative writing classes are for people who want to improve their writing skills, knowledge and understanding. These classes teach students the basics of storytelling, grammar, and sentence structure.
Creative writing classes are not just for aspiring authors or poets. There are creative writing courses for children, business professionals, and aspiring journalists as well.
Let’s dive into things in a bit more detail.
What Is A Creative Writing Class?
So, what is a creative writing class exactly? Basically, it’s a form of education that teaches people how to write fiction, be it poetry or written forms like prose.
Creative writing classes can be found in a variety of places, from universities, to community centers, and even online. Some online writing classes are taught by professional writers who have extensive experience in the field, like bestselling fantasy author, Brandon Sanderson. You can actually watch one of Sanderson’s free online writing classes below to give you a flavour of what this form of education may entail:
It’s important to note that not all creative writing classes will be like this one. Sanderson is teaching this class at a real college and his lectures are merely recorded.
Some tutors will record presentations. Some may host regular classes in which you’re encouraged to share your writing. You may get given assignments on which you get feedback.
There’s a wide variety of creative writing classes available. If you do a bit of research you can quickly find a teaching style, commitment level and price that suits your needs.
What Are The Benefits Of A Creative Writing Class?
Creative writing classes can help people improve their creative skills, get a better understanding of the creative process, and also provide them with valuable feedback on their work. They can also be beneficial for those who are looking to break into the creative industry as they give you an opportunity to meet other writers, editors, publishers or agents.
Creative writing classes also provide you with space to explore different creative ideas and find out what kind of writer you want to be.
Beyond this, creative writing generally is a powerful tool that can be used to improve a person’s communication skills, as well as their critical thinking skills.
But for me, one of the biggest benefits of creative writing classes is the therapeutic effects. Creative writing is an activity that can help with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. It also helps people who want to learn how to express themselves more clearly.
Are There Any Drawbacks?
There are some drawbacks to creative writing classes. The main one is the financial cost. There are some free online writing classes out there but reviews can be mixed.
Some tutors can seek upwards of $50 for a single class. This may last around 1-2 hours and may or may not include some free resources.
If the writing class is with a top author with a track record of teaching (usually gleaned through reading honest reviews), then $50 may be a bargain. It’s just important to do your research before committing, just so you know you’re getting the best deal possible.
Other Ways To Improve Your Creative Writing Skills
Writing creatively is one of the most difficult skills in the world, but it’s also one of the most rewarding. Although creative writing classes are a great way to improve your skills, learn new techniques and meet others with similar interests, there are other ways to learn too, such as:
- Read as much as possible – Reading is a great way to learn new words and phrases that can be used in your own writing. It also helps you understand how other authors use language and structure their sentences.
- Write every day – The more you write, the better you will get at it. You don’t have to write long pieces each time either. Just keep writing short pieces every day and eventually, they will start getting longer and more detailed as well as more interesting to read
- Set goals and deadlines for yourself. This will help you focus on what’s important and finish your work on time.
- Get feedback. The honest opinions of others can shine light on areas of your writing that may be weak or in need or improvement.
Take A Class Today
If you’re interested in taking a creative writing class, I’ve included links to some of mine below.
Some people charge an absolute fortune for classes and some of the feedback I’ve seen is disappointing at best. That’s why I keep all of my prices as low as possible—enough to cover costs with some left over to invest in making more online classes.
Here’s what you can dive into today:
- How to write a fantasy novel
- An expert class on how to edit a novel
- How to create lifelike characters
- Learn how to build a fantasy world
- Find fantasy novel writing classes online
- Learn all about worldbuilding classes here
If you need any more help or support with the question, ‘what is a creative writing class?’, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
- How To Use An Image-To-Text Converter - May 20, 2023
- Simple Tips For Mastering Content Marketing - May 17, 2023
- Edubirdie Review 2023 – The Best Essay Writing Service? - May 13, 2023